Accounting & Finance
The Accounting and Finance department is responsible for payroll and employee benefits, accounts payable, accounting and official financial reporting. The department is also responsible for preparing, monitoring and reporting of operating and capital budgets.
Budgets & Audits
Budgets run from July 1st through June 30th of the following year. Budgets are prepared by the City Manager, the Finance Director, and directors and heads of the various departments within the city. Once the budgets are outlined they are presented to the City Council through several budget meetings. The City Council then either approves or denies the city budget at a public City Council meeting, usually in June prior to funds running out on June 30th. Yearly budgets are posted on this website for public review.
The city budget and finances are audited annually by an independent third party accounting firm. A report is generated and sent to appropriate state regulatory agencies and provided to the public. Audit reports are posted on this website for public review. View archived Budget and Audit Reports.
Non-Profit Budget Allocation
The application process for fiscal year 2020/2021 is now open.
Each application submittal must include the following documents:
- Completed Application Form
- Completed Scope of Work Report
- Copy of most recent Audit, Compilation or Review
- Copy of IRS letter confirming tax-exempt status
- List of Board of Directors and Staff Members
- Copy of most recent annual reports filed with TN Secretary of State’s office
Your organization must also satisfy the requirements of TCA, Section 6-54-111, which mandates the following criteria for any nonprofit or charitable organization receiving city funds:
- No shareholder or individual associated with the organization can benefit from the net earnings of said organization.
- The organization must provide year-round services benefiting the general welfare of the citizens of the community.
- All organizations must file with the City Clerk a copy of the most recent annual audit OR an annual report detailing all receipts and expenditures in a form prescribed by the comptroller of the treasury and prepared and certified by the chief financial officer of such nonprofit organization, a description of the program that serves the residents of the municipality and the proposed use of the municipal assistance. Such report will be open for public inspection during regular business hours of the city clerk’s office.
You are welcome to include other materials (such as brochures, press releases, etc.) that support your agency’s activities and the programs that support the citizens of Cookeville.
Applications are due no later than March 13, 2020 at 4:30 P.M.
APPLICATIONS ARE TO BE SUBMITTED TO:
- Melinda Keifer
For further information please contact:
- Amber Greenwood