The City of Cookeville has adopted the:
- 2018 International Building, Residential, Plumbing, Mechanical, Fuel Gas, and Fire Codes
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code
- All licensing to be in accordance with State of Tennessee regulations. If a project is in excess of $25,000, a Tennessee Contractor’s License and proof of Workers Compensation Insurance are required.
- A City Electrical License and City Special Plumbers License is required for permitting Electrical or Plumbing work. The cost of each license is $50 and must be renewed annually.
- An Owner may act as general contractor to build his own residence to live in, 1 house every 2 years.
- A building permit is required and can be purchased at the City of Cookeville Codes Department. A state contractor’s license will be required for projects over $25,000 in value.
- Footing Inspection
- Foundation Inspection
- Slab Inspection (plumbing inspection required before pouring slab)
- Framing Inspection (all trade inspections required before framing inspection)
- Air Sealing / Insulation Inspection
- Final Inspection (all required inspections must be approved before final)
Permits are required to:
- Construct a building
- Alter or remodel a building (interior or exterior)
- Repair a building
- Move a building
- Demolish a building
- Change the occupancy of a building
- Adding or replacing a deck
- Adding or replacing a wheelchair ramp
- Build a fence
- Put up commercial tents
- Put up an accessory/storage building
- To set up a mobile home
Electrical Permits and Inspections
Electrical permits are required, inspections are performed by City of Cookeville Electrical Inspectors. Permits must be purchased at The City of Cookeville Codes Department. A state issued LLE license or a state electrical contractors license and a city electrical license are required to obtain electrical permits. Proof of inspections are required before any framing or final inspections.
- Temporary poles
- Service Release
- HVAC Change Out
- HVAC Final
- Nonstandard / Rough-In, Service Release and Final
Plumbing Permits and Inspections
Plumbing Permits are required to:
- Add or move plumbing fixtures
- Modify or replace waste drainage system (Galvanized to PVC, etc.)
- Modify or replace water distribution system (Copper to PEX, etc.)
- Sewer connection
- Replace water heater
- New Construction
- A separate permit is required for plumbing and can be purchased at the City of Cookeville Codes Department. A state issued LLP or a state plumbing contractor license with the correct endorsements and a city plumbing license are required to obtain plumbing permits.
- Slab (water test required)
- Underground piping
- Rough-In (water test required)
Mechanical Permits are required to:
- Add or replace HVAC equipment
- Add or replace a gas water heater
- Add, modify, or replace gas piping
- Add, modify, or replace a commercial exhaust hood (kitchen, paint booth, etc.)
Gas Line Inspections:
- A separate permit is required for gas piping install and can be purchased at the City of Cookeville Codes Department. A state issued LLP or a state mechanical license with the correct endorsements and a city plumbing license are required to obtain mechanical permits.
- Underground piping
- Rough-In (pressure test of 30 psi required)
- Pressure test inspection when required by utility provider
- No copper tubing will be used as gas piping materials in gas piping installations. Copper tubing will be allowed, however, as connector to any non-motorized appliance with a limit of 3 feet in length and in the same room as the appliance.
- A separate permit is required for mechanical insulations.
- For gas units A state issued LLP or a state mechanical license with the correct endorsements and a city plumbing license are required to obtain mechanical permits.
- For electric heat or heat pumps a state issued LLE license or a state electrical contractors license and a city electrical license are required to obtain electrical permits.
- New Installs
- Unit change outs
- Sign permits required for all signs including on premise signage.
- For sign permits contact the Sign Inspector at 931-520-5233 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For regulations please reference Section 207 of the Cookeville Zoning Code or contact 931-520-5233.
Yard Sale Permits
- Permit required to have a yard sale
- $2 permit fee
- Sale can run for maximum of 3 consecutive days
- Allowed 3 sales per year with minimum 30 days between sales
The Cookeville City Council adopted an ordinance regulating Short Term Rental Units within the city limits of Cookeville in December 2017. Homeowners wishing to rent their property for short term rentals through sites like VRBO, Airbnb, and similar sites are required to obtain a permit. Please fill out the following form and bring it and other required documents to Cookeville City Hall.