What can be done about overgrown lots, yards and disabled vehicles?

The City enforces regulations dealing with property maintenance, housing standards, disabled vehicles, signs and billboards, trash, weeds and other community standards. The allowing or permitting a dense growth of trees, vines, grass and underbrush to develop or occur on any lot, parcel of land within the corporate limits of the City of Cookeville constitutes a threat or menace to life, property, public health, or public welfare and/or creates a fire hazard is hereby specifically prohibited and declared to be a public nuisance. email the Codes Enforcement Officer or call 931-520-5233.

Show All Answers

1. Who do I contact about Addresses?
2. Information on Nuisance Animals and Animal Permitted
3. May I have chickens in the city limits?
4. What is Annexation?
5. If I would like to request a variance or believe a building official is in error, what do I do?
6. What type of Building Inspections does the city require?
7. Do I need a Building Permit?
8. May I alter a drainage system?
9. What can be done about overgrown lots, yards and disabled vehicles?
10. Are there special rules regarding earthwork?
11. I'm having issues with stormwater and flooding, what do I do?
12. Do I have to get a permit to have a garage/yard sale?
13. Where can I get a map?
14. What things require permits and licenses in the City Limits?
15. How would I get a piece of property rezoned?
16. Do I have to get a permit to put up a sign in the City Limits?
17. May I request a street be closed?
18. How do I choose a street name or have one renamed?
19. How do I divide my property?
20. What are the rules for declaring city property surplus?
21. What is my property zoned?
22. What are the regulations for billboards in the City Limits?
23. How do I know if I'm in the City Limits?
24. Can I do a short-term rental like Airbnb and Vacation Rental by Owner (VRBO) at my house?